Best Mountain Bike Handlebars [Review] in 2020
Last Updated on
This guide has been written by Cycle expert Alex Bristol
See full list of products
Check out the results fast - here are our review winners
If you want to make your mountain bike rides more exiting and thrilling, you need to ensure that your bike is strong and comfortable. One of the most important parts that determines the performance and stability of the bike is the handlebar. Choosing a wrong handlebar is one of the most expensive mistakes you can ever make. Since there are so many brands on the market, you can easily get confused.
The best handlebars should be comfortable, easy to install and should also be durable. To make your work easier, we have reviewed the best mountain bike handlebars that are worth your money.
We've spent the time so you don't have to:
Best Mountain Bike Handlebars
RaceFace Atlas Mountain Bike Handlebar
Top Choice Item
Raceface Atlas Mountain Bike Handle bar comes first as the most outstanding mountain bike handlebar you can find today. It is made of a cold drawn and seamless air alloy material to boost durability. It also comes with an internal taper which provides additional strength. You will also find that it has a very wide riser geometry to give you precise control when riding at a high speed. The extra wide bar to give you maximum control when riding on challenging terrains.
Extra wide riser geometry
Internal taper to boost durability
A bit pricey
Latest deal: RaceFace Atlas
This one is not only suitable for mountain bikes but you can also use it on road bikes. When using it, you can place your hands on different positions for maximum comfort on your shoulders and arms. This means that you can ride for long distances without any problem like back pains or shoulder pains. Apart from that, it has a sponge handlebar which provides comfortable grip.
Suitable for long rides
You can place your hands on different positions
The sponge might be a bit difficult to install
Latest deal: UPANBIKE Trekking
Wake Aluminum Alloy Mountain Bike Handlebar
One of the major selling points of this mountain bike handlebar is that it comes as a complete set. This means that it is ready for use right from the box. Again, it consists of extra long handles which are strong enough to give you maximum control. Apart from that, it has an ergonomic curve for supporting your back. This means that it protects you when cycling. You should also note that it works perfectly with most of the dirt bicycles as well as mountain bikes.
Ergonomic curve to protect you
Extra long and non-slip handles
Made of sturdy aluminum alloy
Compatible with dirt bikes and mountain bikes
Latest deal: Wake Aluminum Alloy Mountain Bike Handlebar
EC90 Carbon Fibre Mountain Bicycle Flat Handlebar
Prime Picked Item
EC90 Carbon Fibre Mountain Bike Handlebar is among the rare handlebars that are made of 100% full carbon fiber and a 3K carbon weave material. This means that it is very sturdy and durable. Apart from that, it has a very nice design as compared to others. Since it weight 100-180g, it means that it is among the most lightweight handlebars you can find today. In terms of installation, you won’t have any problems since it is very easy to install.
Easy to install
Made of 100% carbon fiber
Not compatible with many bikes
Latest deal: EC90 Carbon Fibre Mountain Bicycle Flat Handlebar
Renthal Fatbar Carbon 35 Handlebar
Best Value Item
Renthal Fatbar Carbon 35 is made of unidirectional carbon fiber material which is among the best materials used in the production of handlebars. Due to this, it is a bit expensive. In terms of measurement, it has a diameter of 35mm which makes it perfect for all mountain bike riders. You will also find that it has a width of 800mm which makes it the largest. The design is very beautiful since it features beautiful color schemes.
Provides the best control
Made of unidirectional carbon fiber
Latest deal: Renthal Fatbar Carbon 35 Handlebar
OUTAD Bicycle Handlebar 31.8mm 720mm Aluminum Alloy Riser
Whether you are searching for a quality handlebar you can install in your mountain bike, road bike or on a long-distance mountain bike, this one will be a great option because it is very versatile. Again, it is very easy to install since it comes as a complete package. In terms of design, you will find that it is made of a premium aluminum alloy and has an ergonomic design. Again, it is very lightweight and comfortable which means that you can ride your bike the whole day without fatigue.
Durable aluminum alloy
Easy to install
Latest deal: OUTAD Bicycle Handlebar 31.8mm 720mm Aluminum Alloy Riser
Fifty-Fifty Aluminum Alloy Mountain Bike Riser Handlebar
Fifty-Fifty Aluminum is among the most lightweight mountain bike handlebars you will ever find. It has a diameter of 800 mm and contains convenient marks which makes your work easier when cutting. Again, it looks great on the mountain bike. If you are searching for a handlebar that will give you maximum control and agility, it will be perfect choice. It is made of aluminum and it is double butted for durability and stability.
Provides exceptional control
Lightweight and easy to install
Excellent shock absorption
Paint fades quickly
Latest deal: Fifty-Fifty Aluminum Alloy Mountain Bike Riser Handlebar
Jessica Acekit Lightweight 31.8mm 1 ¼ Aluminum Alloy Bicycle Handlebar
The first thing you will notice about this handlebar is its beautiful appearance which features black –silver, red and orange colors. It is made of an aluminum alloy 7005. This means that it is strong enough to give you control when riding. Unlike others, this one uses DB tube drawing technology and it is also lightweight. Don’t forget that it also comes with a 2 years warranty and an installation guide.
It uses DB tube drawing technology
2 years warranty
Easy to install
Latest deal: Jessica Acekit Lightweight 31.8mm 1 ¼ Aluminum Alloy
Mighty Duty Bicycle Handlebar
Mighty Duty Bicycle Handlebar is made to provide exceptional performance. To start with, the handles are non-slip and super lightweight. Apart from that, it is very strong, convenient and efficient. Since it has an ergonomic design, it is the best when riding for long distances. You should also note that it is build to last which means that it is very strong. It can also be used either on mountain bikes or on road bikes.
Strong and sturdy
Doesn’t have a warranty
Latest deal: Mighty Duty Bicycle Handlebar
Fasteam 31.8mm 3K Glossy Super Light Carbon Riser MTB Handlebar
Fasteam 31.8mm 3K Glossy Super Light Carbon Riser is among the most beautiful mountain handlebars you will ever find. It is made of quality 3K Glossy fiber material to boost efficiency and durability. Again, the carbon layering is a bit thick to boost stability when riding. In terms of installation you can easily assemble and disassemble it. Again, it is very comfortable and can be used for various functions. It will be a perfect choice for those who are on a tight budget due to its low price.
Durable and comfortable
Easy to install
Not the best quality
Latest deal: Fasteam
Factors to consider when buying Mountain Bike Handlebars
- Material – The most common types of materials used in mountain bike handlebars are carbon, titanium, steel and aluminum.
- Carbon – If you are searching for a lightweight material, you should look for a carbon handlebar. These handlebars are very strong and durable.
- Aluminum – In terms of price, aluminum handlebars are very cheap but durable. You will also find that most of the handlebars are made of aluminum because they are lightweight and strong.
- Titanium – Titanium is very light but it provides the best shock absorption. Again, titanium bars are the most durable. Due to this, they are very expensive.
- Steel-These ones are extremely strong and sleek. Most of the handlebars that are made of steel also feature a chrome finish which gives them an attractive look. The chrome finish also boosts their durability.
- Clamp diameter- Most of the handlebars have a diameter of 31.8mm. This means that they fit perfectly on a 31.mm stem. Others have a clamp diameter of 35mm. If you decide to go for those with a diameter of 35mm, you should be ready to buy a 35mm stem.
- Width – A good handlebar should have a width of at least 750mm. The good thing about these handlebars is that they are more stable and gives you a better control when riding. Again, you won’t need to pay extra money when buying any of them.
- Weight – The weight of the handlebar determines the steering abilities of the bike. Therefore, you should ensure that the handlebar you have picked is not too heavy and not too light. Lightweight handlebars may be comfortable t ride but they may not provide great stability especially when riding on challenging trails.
- Rise- Most of the mountain bike handlebars are usually raised from 0-100mm. If you are searching for a comfortable handlebar, you should consider any that has a rise of 40-50mm. In terms of inches, the range should be 1.5-2 inches.
- Sweep – This is the angle in which the mountain bike handlebars bend to the back. The sweep is very important because it determined your body posture and comfort. There are two types of sweeps namely the upsweep and the backsweep. The upsweep is the angle in which the handlebar bends up from the stem. Backsweep is the angle in which the handlebar bends towards the back. These angles are an important factor you should consider when buying.
Types of mountain bike handlebars
- Downhill bars- These ones are very easy to notice because they are the widest. They also have a range of 0-2 inches rise. As a result, they are very strong but they require oversize stems.
- Dirt jump parts – Dirt jumps handlebars have a rise of 2-3 inches which means that they are a bit tall. They are made of aluminum and are available in oversize and standard diameters.
- Cross-country handlebars- These ones are either made of carbon or aluminum. They are very narrow and have a low rise bars.
Benefits of flat handlebars
- Position – If you love cross-country riding, they allow you to lean forward more easily.
- Light – Flat bars usually have less steel in their constructions which means that they are lightweight and cheap to produce.
- Narrow– Due to their narrow design, they allow you to ride even in narrow spaces like corridors and doorways.
- Versatile– Another benefit of flat bars is that you can easily attach various accessories like lights, phone holders and other items you may require when cycling.
Benefits of Riser Bars
- Control– As compared to the flat bars, these ones gives you a better control when cycling. They allow you to turn easily since you do not need to use a lot of energy.
- Wrist support– Riser bars allows you to sit further at the back . Due to this, your weight is distributed at the front which means that you won’t strain your wrists.
The Final Verdict
Handlebars are among the most important parts of a mountain bike because they help you to steer your bike. If your handlebars are not strong, you may not be able to control your mountain bike. Again, they allow you to balance your weight when cycling. This means that you should not just pick any mountain bike handlebar available on the market because not every bar will give you the best performance. However, you can pick any from the above list because we only considered the top rated products and those with advanced features.
When we were doing our research, we also considered various things like material, price, comfort, durability and strength. This means that all the products will give you the best value for your money since they have been tried and tested for quality. However, you need to go through their features carefully to ensure that the one you have picked matches your requirements.
Head of Content at Pedallers
Alex is Pedallers Head of Content and specialises in road bike accessories and general cycling. Alex scours the internet finding the latest product that matches the needs of cyclists across the world. Alex looks at the best bike set ups and sources the newest tech in the cycle industry. Whether its a buyer guide, product review or a general post about bikes, Alex is a trusted source for everything cycle sport.