If you own cycling gloves, you need to ensure that they are always clean. Most of them are made of fabric that absorbs sweat. This means that in case you do not wash them, they may allow bacteria to develop which is very dangerous. If you do not clean them for a long time, they may produce an unpleasant smell. However, unlike other clothes, cycling gloves requires a lot of care when cleaning to ensure that you do not damage them. In this article, we shall outline the steps you should follow when cleaning.
- Antibacterial hand soap
- White vinegar
- Leather conditioner
How to clean leather gloves
You should never wash the leather bike gloves in a machine if you want them to serve you for many years. Follow these steps when cleaning.
- Put them on and add a few drops of water on your hands. Rub mild soap like leather soap or castle soap on the dirtiest parts of the glove.
- Rinse the gloves carefully and ensure that there is not soap left
- You should never wring the gloves instead, you should squeeze them slowly to remove water.
- Put them back on the flex of your fingers several times to dry them.
- Remove the gloves and put them on a bath towel. Press gently to remove water.
- Put them and they them flat so that they can dry. Ensure that you do not press them.
- After you are done, you can apply a small portion of a leather conditioner when they are almost dry.
- Close the Velcro strap or any fastener
- Use cool water and mild soap when washing. In case they are extremely dirty and maybe smelling, you can use 1/8 cup of white vinegar.
- Rinse them carefully and check whether there are any soapsuds. Rinse them again in case there is need to do so.
- Leave them to dry on the sun for about one hour. You can also lay them flat to dry.
How to wash them in a machine
- Close the Velcro strap on the gloves or open any button available
- Put them in a washing machine and then set cold using a laundry detergent. Avoid using bleach. You can also clean other pieces of clothes together with the gloves.
- In case they smell, you can add ¼ cup of white vinegar. Look for the fabric softener slot on the machine and use it when adding the white vinegar.
- Rinse them using your hands after removing them from the machine. Remove any soapsuds that might be remaining.
- Hung them outside to dry or lay them on a flat surface.
Cleaning cycling gloves is a must irrespective of whether you use them frequently or not. However, you need to use the right detergents when cleaning. In case you are using leather gloves, you should never clean them in a machine. Lastly, ensure that they are completely dry before you use them.
1.Tips for Cleaning Bike Gloves for Another Year – Post by Have Fun Biking