This guide has been written by cycling review expert Alex Bristol
Last Updated on
Last Updated on
When to Replace Bike Tires
The major part that determines the performance of a bike are the tires. They are also the most important part. Since they are usually subjected to different forms of abuse, you need to check them frequently to ensure that they are in good condition. Failure to do this can be very dangerous because accidents are likely to occur if you do not have reliable tires. Below are some of the signs that will indicate that you need to replace your tires.
- Constant flats – Flat tires is the major sign that it is time to replace them especially when it happens continuously. The more you use the tires, the more likely they will wear out. As a result, they become weak which leads to flat tires. Another thing is when your experience punctures more often. When this happens, the best thing would be to look for new tires. It is also advisable to keep checking the tires from time to time to ensure that they are in good condition. In case you find some holes, try to fix them immediately.
- Holes and cuts– When riding on the road, the tires are likely to get into contact with sharp objects and debris especially after rain. These debris are so small that it is not easy to notice them. However, if you inspect your tires frequently you will realize some nicks and cuts. You may also realize that there are some holes. Some of them may not be easy to fix, since tires are not expensive, the best way would be replacing them with new ones.
- Worn out casing – Another sign of worn out tires is inconsistent patterns on the tread. This means that the tires have started to wear out. As a result, the upper casing may also lose its shape. Don’t wait until the inner parts of the tire are visible and instead, you should avoid using the bike until you replace them.
- Reduced Speed– A worn out tire may affect the speed of your bike. This means that you may start feeling some resistance when riding on certain terrains. To be on the safe side, you need to use the recommended tires when riding on different terrains.
- Cracks –When you see some cracks along the sidewalls of the tires, it is a sign that the sidewall is already damaged. If you want to get the best performance, it is good to check and adjust the inflation pressure before cycling.
- Bulges or bubbles– Bulges and bubbles are very common and the same time they can be very dangerous. If you feel a regular bump or notice a bulge on the tire, it is a sign that the tires can burst anytime. To avoid dangerous accidents, the best thing would be to replace the tires immediately.
- Worn out tread– This one is very easy to notice especially if the tires have thick pattern. The absence of any tread is a major sign that it is time to replace the tires.
Ensuring that your tires are in good condition is the first step in ensuring that you will have smooth and comfortable rides. If you experience any of the above conditions on your tires, you should replace them immediately to prevent accidents.
1.List of Bicycle Tire Brands – Post by roadbikerider
Related Post: Best Mountain Bike Tires [Review]
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.